Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Bead Soup Blog Party Scavenger Hunt #1 -- win a book!




As the Bead Soup Blog Party is enormous (nearly 500 blogs to visit and comment on), I thought I'd add the fun of some scavenger hunts to the mix to encourage people to visit. 

 You do NOT have to have participated in the Party as a designer in order to win!


I was delighted to review my editor, Karin Van Voorhees's new book, 
"Linked -- Innovative Chain Mail Jewelry Designs.



Karin gathered noted artists John Fetvedt, Diane Miller, Anne Mitchell, Laura Poplin, Sue Ripsch, and Vanessa Walilko to create beautiful, accessible jewelry using jump rings.  There are 22 projects, as well as information on how to make your own jump rings should you wish, how various metals will affect your work (and your hands!), a great page on soldering (soldering is NOT require for the majority of these projects, but the soldering that IS required is easy to do.  I didn't burn anything up.)


Other than the projects, my favorite pages are about aspect ratio, how to control your rings, and how to know what size to use for what project.  I like to make my own chains, but I often have to wing it and take things apart when I don't have a good grasp on what 3.5 mm versus 4.5 mm will do. Too small, and your piece can be too tight and crimp up.  Too large, and your piece may look wobbly (but then again, it could look really cool, as I've learned when making King's Maille with huge rings.)




I'm running this on the honor system.

and scroll towards the bottom to see the loooong list of designers.

Visit until you find someone who used chain. 
It does NOT have to be handmade chain, just chain.

Please don't just start at the top -- 
give people in the middle and the bottom some love, too, 
and comment, even if you don't find chain!



To enter, make a comment below, click here to email me 

with the subject "Scavenger Hunt" 
and the name of the blog
in the body of the message.

(that way, people won't see the comments and go to that same blog).

A winner will be chosen Friday, May 16th.


I'll then add another scavenger hunt!

Ready

Set

Hunt!





Lori Anderson creates jewelry and bead kits as well as collaborative mixed media art with her son, Zack. Visit her shops by clicking on the right side bar of this blog (please and thank you!). She is also the creator of the Bead Soup Blog Party® and author of the book "Bead Soup" via Kalmbach Publishing.

51 comments:

  1. Awesome hunt! Luckily I got it on the third one (mostly bc I'm approaching my data limit way too fast)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found mine quickly. :) Have a great night Lori. Hope all is great at your home soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Working my way through the list, found one on the first blog I visited after reading about the hunt. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in! Emailing you if I can...I don't use Outlook.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me too! It was YOU, Lori...on Pretty Things blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Found one - the first one I looked at!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Found mine on the first random pick :) Christie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a neat book, fun scavenger hunt. Sending my entry to you next. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. yes found one! I love this hopping thing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am unsure what I should post here in the comment. I emailed you directly with my entry. I love scavenger hunts! This is a way cool idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is fun! Where do come up with all these great ideas? Sending you an email now! Rest and relax!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I went hunting although I already knew many :-D What a nice add to blog hop! Email sent.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Found! =) Yay! Thank you, Lori!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ok done , just been pining those awesome chain designs

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would love this book - I've been wanting to try making some chain mail jewelry

    ReplyDelete
  16. Would love to win this book - I've been thinking about trying to make chain mail jewelry

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happened to just finish reading a post with an awesome chain mail necklace.

    ReplyDelete
  18. 6th day of hopping :-) found the chain, fun continues....

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very cool idea, Lori, thank you :-) I found so many people who used chain in different but always wonderful ways. One of them I emailed you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I found one pretty quickly. Chain is pretty popular.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You received and confirmed my emai. Thanks again for all you do :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Found one first time out! Woo!

    ReplyDelete
  23. So many people used chain! This one was too easy. :) Got one!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Just sent the e-mail ... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Cool idea. Not to hard to find!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is fun, should I link it to my facebook page to bring in more? I linked your blog and my partners as well as mine with the pairings and the reveal, but I'm wondering if this would bring in more?

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is fun, should I link it to my facebook page to bring in more? I linked your blog and my partners as well as mine with the pairings and the reveal, but I'm wondering if this would bring in more?

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a fun idea! I will email you my find :-)

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a fun idea! I am impressed with everyone's creations. I'm happy to have found you all!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Found several. Sending one your way.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I am so into chain mail! (I still have not been able to conquer the very strong maille jumprings that you sent me in '07-'08 but I just had an idea, to heat them up!) Sending you the link to the blog with chain! :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is like being rewarded for eating chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I found one Lori... sending you an email! XO

    ReplyDelete
  34. Found several. Such lovely creations out there.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Don't know if I piped in fast enough or not, but I emailed you!

    <3,
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment!